The Do’s and Don’ts of back pain
- DONT STAY IN BED: Prolonged rest and avoidance of activity for those suffering with low back pain can lead to higher levels of pain and poorer recovery time.
- DO KEEP MOVING: Start slowly and gradually build amount and intensity. Pick an exercise you enjoy, can afford to maintain in the long term, and fits into your daily schedule.
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT EXERCISE FOR YOU: If you go to the gym and do a bench press you can arch your back and make things worse, when running the force coming through your feet and legs can aggravate back problems.
- DON’T RUSH INTO SURGERY: Uncommon conditions may require surgery, but on average results have no better long-term effect than exercise and activity.
- DON’T BE AFRAID TO LIFT THINGS: Keep your back straight and avoid bending forward. Stand close to the load with a wide stance and lift by straightening your knees.